At key stage 5 the MFL classes are small enough to get almost individual attention. The students have 4 hours weekly contact and a further hour with the language assistant, by arrangement. Again, we are fortunate to be able to offer such support by native speakers.
New AS and A Level
This is the second year students are sitting the new AS MFL exam and the first year sitting the new A Level (year 2) exams which changes greatly from previous A Levels in that there is stronger emphasis on the cultural knowledge of the target language country. The course leads to obtaining a standalone qualification if students decide to sit their exam either in year 1 for an AS in Spanish or year 2 for an A Level in Spanish. The marks from the AS Level exam do not count towards the A Level qualification which students can choose to take or not. The main content areas are as follows:
General AS and A-level French/Spanish themes and sub-themes
Aspects of Francophone / Spanish society (AS and A-level)
• Modern and traditional values
• Equal rights
Artistic culture in the Francophone world (AS and A-level)
• Modern day idols
• French/Spanish / Spanish regional identity
• Cultural heritage
Multiculturalism in Francophone/ Spanish society (A-level)
Aspects of political life in the Francophone/ Spanish world (A-level)
• Today's youth, tomorrow's citizens
• Monarchies and dictatorships
• Popular movements
Paper 1- Listening, Reading and Writing. 1 hour and 40 minutes. 45% of total AS marks (90 marks)
Candidates will listen, read and respond to spoken passages from a range of contexts and sources. Questions in French/Spanish to be answered with non-verbal responses or in French/Spanish
Summarising information from spoken and written sources, reporting key points and subject matter in speech and writing.
There will also be a translation into English.
Paper 2- Writing. 1 hour and 30 minutes. 25% of AS (50 marks).
Either one question in French/Spanish on a set text from a choice of two questions or one question in French/Spanish on a set film from a choice of two questions (35 marks).
Translation into French/Spanish; a passage of minimum 70 words (15 marks).
Paper 3- Speaking. 12 – 14 minutes plus 15 minutes preparation time. 30% of AS marks (50 marks).
Candidates will discuss two sub-themes (6 – 7 minutes on each) with the discussion based on a stimulus card for each sub-theme.
A LEVEL– Second Year:
Paper 1- Listening, Reading and Writing. 2 hours and 30 minutes. 50% of total A level marks (100 marks)
Summarising information from spoken and written sources, reporting key points and subject matter
in speech and writing
•• translating an unseen passage from French/Spanish into English
•• translating an unseen passage from English into French/Spanish.
Paper 2- Writing. 2 hours. 20% of A level (80 marks).
Either ONE/TWO questions in French/Spanish on a set text from a choice of two questions AND/OR one question in French/Spanish on a set film from a choice of two questions. 300 words (40 marks each).
Paper 3-Speaking. 21-23 minutes (16-18 plus 5 minutes preparation time). 30% of A level marks (60 marks).
16-18 minutes plus 5 minutes preparation. The 5 minutes’ preparation time will take place in the examination room in the presence of the examiner. Students may make notes during the preparation period.
• One Stimulus Card: 5-6 minutes.
• Presentation of Individual Research Project: 2 minutes
• Discussion based on Individual Research Project: 9-10 minutes
Set Texts for French
•• Molière Le Tartuffe
•• Voltaire Candide
•• Guy de Maupassant Boule de Suif et autres contes de la guerre
•• Albert Camus L’étranger
•• Françoise Sagan Bonjour tristesse
•• Claire Etcherelli Elise ou la vraie vie
•• Joseph Joffo Un sac de billes
•• Faïza Guène Kiffe kiffe demain
•• Philippe Grimbert Un secret
•• Delphine de Vigan No et moi
Set Films for French
•• Les 400 coups François Truffaut (1959)
•• Au revoir les enfants Louis Malle (1987)
•• La Haine Mathieu Kassovitz (1995)
•• L’auberge espagnole Cédric Klapisch (2002)
•• Un long dimanche de fiançailles Jean-Pierre Jeunet (2004)
•• Entre les murs Laurent Cantet (2008)
Set Texts for Spanish
• Federico García Lorca La casa de Bernarda Alba
• Gabriel García Márquez Crónica de una muerte anunciada
• Laura Esquivel Como agua para chocolate
• Ramón J. Sender Réquiem por un campesino español
• Carlos Ruiz Zafón La sombra del viento
• Isabel Allende La casa de los espíritus
• Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer Rimas
• Fernando Fernán-Gómez Las bicicletas son para el verano
• Luis de Castresana El otro árbol de Guernica
• Gabriel García Márquez El coronel no tiene quien le escriba
Set Films for Spanish
• El laberinto del fauno Guillermo del Toro (2006)
• Ocho apellidos vascos Emilio Martínez-Lázaro (2014)
• María, llena eres de gracia Joshua Marston (2004)
• Volver Pedro Almodóvar (2006)
• Abel Diego Luna (2010)
• Las 13 rosas Emilio Martínez-Lázaro (2007)