At Key Stage 5 the MFL classes are small enough to get almost individual attention. The students have 4 hours weekly contact and a further hour with the language assistant, by arrangement. Again, we are fortunate to be able to offer such support by native speakers.
New AS and A Level
This is the second year students are sitting the new AS MFL exam and the first year sitting the new A Level (year 2) exams which changes greatly from previous A Levels in that there is stronger emphasis on the cultural knowledge of the target language country. The course leads to obtaining a standalone qualification if students decide to sit their exam either in year 1 for an AS in Spanish or year 2 for an A Level in Spanish. The marks from the AS Level exam do not count towards the A Level qualification which students can choose to take or not. The main content areas are as follows:
General AS and A-level French/Spanish themes and sub-themes
Aspects of Francophone / Spanish society (AS and A-level)
- Modern and traditional values
- Equal rights
Artistic culture in the Francophone world (AS and A-level)
- Modern day idols
- French/Spanish / Spanish regional identity
- Cultural heritage
Multiculturalism in Francophone/ Spanish society (A-level)
Aspects of political life in the Francophone/ Spanish world (A-level)
- Today's youth, tomorrow's citizens
- Monarchies and dictatorships
- Popular movements
Paper 1 - Listening, Reading and Writing. 1 hour and 40 minutes. 45% of total AS marks (90 marks).
Candidates will listen, read and respond to spoken passages from a range of contexts and sources. Questions in French/Spanish to be answered with non-verbal responses or in French/Spanish
Summarising information from spoken and written sources, reporting key points and subject matter in speech and writing.
There will also be a translation into English.
Paper 2 - Writing. 1 hour and 30 minutes. 25% of AS (50 marks).
Either one question in French/Spanish on a set text from a choice of two questions or one question in French/Spanish on a set film from a choice of two questions (35 marks).
Translation into French/Spanish; a passage of minimum 70 words (15 marks).
Paper 3 - Speaking. 12 – 14 minutes plus 15 minutes preparation time. 30% of AS marks (50 marks).
Candidates will discuss two sub-themes (6 – 7 minutes on each) with the discussion based on a stimulus card for each sub-theme.
A Level - Second Year:
Paper 1 - Listening, Reading and Writing. 2 hours and 30 minutes. 50% of total A level marks (100 marks).
Summarising information from spoken and written sources, reporting key points and subject matter in speech and writing
- translating an unseen passage from French/Spanish into English
- translating an unseen passage from English into French/Spanish.
Paper 2 - Writing. 2 hours. 20% of A level (80 marks).
Either ONE/TWO questions in French/Spanish on a set text from a choice of two questions AND/OR one question in French/Spanish on a set film from a choice of two questions. 300 words (40 marks each).
Paper 3 - Speaking. 21-23 minutes (16-18 plus 5 minutes preparation time). 30% of A level marks (60 marks).
16-18 minutes plus 5 minutes preparation. The 5 minutes’ preparation time will take place in the examination room in the presence of the examiner. Students may make notes during the preparation period.
- One Stimulus Card: 5-6 minutes.
- Presentation of Individual Research Project: 2 minutes
- Discussion based on Individual Research Project: 9-10 minutes
Set Texts for French
- Molière Le Tartuffe
- Voltaire Candide
- Guy de Maupassant Boule de Suif et autres contes de la guerre
- Albert Camus L’étranger
- Françoise Sagan Bonjour tristesse
- Claire Etcherelli Elise ou la vraie vie
- Joseph Joffo Un sac de billes
- Faïza Guène Kiffe kiffe demain
- Philippe Grimbert Un secret
- Delphine de Vigan No et moi
Set Films for French
- Les 400 coups François Truffaut (1959)
- Au revoir les enfants Louis Malle (1987)
- La Haine Mathieu Kassovitz (1995)
- L’auberge espagnole Cédric Klapisch (2002)
- Un long dimanche de fiançailles Jean-Pierre Jeunet (2004)
- Entre les murs Laurent Cantet (2008)
Set Texts for Spanish
- Federico García Lorca La casa de Bernarda Alba
- Gabriel García Márquez Crónica de una muerte anunciada
- Laura Esquivel Como agua para chocolate
- Ramón J. Sender Réquiem por un campesino español
- Carlos Ruiz Zafón La sombra del viento
- Isabel Allende La casa de los espíritus
- Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer Rimas
- Fernando Fernán-Gómez Las bicicletas son para el verano
- Luis de Castresana El otro árbol de Guernica
- Gabriel García Márquez El coronel no tiene quien le escriba
Set Films for Spanish
- El laberinto del fauno Guillermo del Toro (2006)
- Ocho apellidos vascos Emilio Martínez-Lázaro (2014)
- María, llena eres de gracia Joshua Marston (2004)
- Volver Pedro Almodóvar (2006)
- Abel Diego Luna (2010)
- Las 13 rosas Emilio Martínez-Lázaro (2007)